17 June 2010

Must-read Book!

I finished an incredible book this past Monday. "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller. Incredible for many reasons. Here's how it was incredible to me:

If you've ever read Don Miller, you know what I mean when I say unique writer. He writes like one thinks. The depth of his analogies and humor makes strings of words (aka sentences) jump off the page as pictures in your mind. To say he stimulates the intellect would be minimalist of me.

This book challenged me to get up and move amidst the tiny little story called "my life". In an incredibly self-revealing way, Don challenges his readers to write an incredible story with their life. For instance, chapter 10, "Writing the World": I want to memorize it. Here's an excerpt:

"If I have a hope, it's that God set over the dark nothing and wrote you and me, specifically, into the story, and put us in with the sunset and the rainstorm as though to say, Enjoy your place in my story. The beauty of it means you matter, and you can create within it even as I have created you.

I've wondered, though, if one of the reasons we fail to acknowledge the brilliance of life is because we don't want the responsibility inherent in the acknowledgment. We don't want to be characters in a story because characters have to move and breathe and face conflict with courage. And if life isn't remarkable, then we don't have to do any of that; we can be unwilling victims rather than grateful participants."

I want a character that moves and breathes and acts upon both the good and bad in life. I want to do something bigger than I ever thought I could. I will.

Will you? For inspiration, start in this amazing work of heart by D. Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment