21 October 2010

Fabulous Fourteen, Week 4!

Last week brought about a new wave of food in our FFF fun :) My sister chose Indian Corn Stew and Quick Cheese Bread for our dining pleasure. And it was a pleasure :)

My husband serves as the sound technician once every three weeks at our church and he was on duty until 1p last Sunday so the two youngest children came home with me (Lauryl serves in the toddler room once a month so she stayed at church too). We dove right in - well, at least Aubry and I did :) Brendan wanted to read his Bible verses from their lesson at church that morning; what an awesome kid he is!

The stew consisted of ground beef, some spices, corn, green peppers, crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and zucchini (although I didn't have that on hand). Concurrently, Aubry and I mixed up the quick cheese bread which was also very simple - flour, oil, eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt, and shredded cheese. This we put right in the oven to bake while we finished stirring the stew together and then let it simmer for about 30 minutes.

We went the route of serving the stew on the cheese bread rather than in tortillas. There were definitely some cheers around the table as we ate ... my husband especially. He would have voted for more spice, but when doesn't he want things spicier?!

All in all, these two recipes are perfect for a fall lunch or dinner when you have about an hour to give to the kitchen. They are easy for children to help with and will meet just about anyone's taste bud preferences. It is also yummy upon re-heating; I took the leftovers to work the next day and plowed right through them :)

This weekend?! Birthday cupcakes are on the menu! You can start checking them out here, http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/07/best-birthday-cake/, and then check back in with me for a review early next week! I'm most excited to try the frosting. Why? It looks super unique and unusual :)

To cupcakes! Always a delicious treat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment