31 May 2011

Margaritaville!

I'm not a huge fan of cake. Really, only certain kinds of 'cake' turn my fancy. Cheesecake. Texas Sheet Cake. And once in a while, a cupcake.

So my sister chooses "Picnic Food" for our May theme in baking. And nearly the next day sends me this dangerous and sinful link:

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/05/05/margarita-cupcakes-cinco-de-mayo/#more-11708

Don't believe me? Just keep reading.

So a couple weekends ago, I'm in the mood to make these beauties. Let me tell you, this was the best cupcake making and eating experience I've had. That's right. Ever.

The cupcake batter secret is to do exactly what she says. Now, how against the grain is that for me, right?! But, margarita in my right hand and beautiful red Kitchen Aid mixer next to my left, I followed directions for once, and beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. 5 minutes. 5 minutes! A thing of beauty ...


The fresh lime zest and lime juice I would say were the next most important parts of both the batter and the frosting. Well of course, besides the tequila ;)

2 of my children wanted to lick the batter from the bowl so we gave it a go. "This tastes weird" all around! Not too hip on the tequila taste as it should be; but AFTER they came out of the oven (the tequila baked out) it was a different story all-around: "These are awesome!" - "They taste so moist!" (Yes, one of my children used the word 'moist').

After again following the directions - this was a marker day for me - for the frosting, and whipping this butter as well for 5 mins (these are super-low calorie cupcakes btw), on went the deliciosity of frosting.



As you can tell, my husband didn't mind posing for the camera with tequila-enthused smiles all around *wink* In all seriousness though: these babies need no tequila to make them amazing. The perfect cupcake. There. You heard me. They're an 11!


Now, go make some for yourself - you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Was Brendan the one who used the word moist? :o) I'll share your link on my page, sis.

    ReplyDelete